It’s possible to get an internship as a software developer, no matter your age or experience level. But that doesn’t mean you won’t have to work hard to make it happen—in fact, it might be easier to get an internship at one of the biggest tech companies if you know how to approach it the right way, and that’s exactly what this guide will show you how to do!
Here’s how to land your first software developer internship now, with some advice from people who are already doing it!
What is an internship and why do I need it?
An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door of the software development industry. Many employers use internships as a way to screen and assess potential candidates for full-time positions. Even if you don’t end up getting a job offer from the company you intern with, an internship can still be valuable because it allows you to gain experience, learn new skills, and network with other professionals.
Plus, it’s a great way to make your resume stand out. After all, most applicants only have professional work experience on their resumes – so anything that sets you apart from the crowd will help!
For some people, internships are difficult to come by. However, there are many places where interns can find opportunities – here are some resources that might help.
- First, check the websites of companies you’re interested in working for. Most companies advertise open internships at this time of year – just make sure to do your research beforehand so you know what kind of internship each company offers before applying.
- Second, check career websites like Monster or Indeed for listings. These sites aggregate jobs from around the web and post them on one site which makes it easy to search and apply for openings. There are also internship databases like Engineering Village which allow engineering students access to internships through their schools’ cooperative education programs.
- Finally, if you live near a college campus, you should go speak to your school’s career centre about any internships they might have available. They may not be posted online, but it never hurts to ask!
Planning your path to getting an internship
The best way to get an internship as a software developer is to have a plan. You should research the companies you want to intern with and make sure you meet their requirements. Once you have a list of potential companies, reach out to your network of contacts and see if anyone can put in a good word for you. Finally, don’t forget to follow up after your interviews!
Employer expectations of interns
These days, employers expect a lot from their interns. They want them to be able to work independently, but also be able to take direction when needed. They want them to be proactive and take initiative but also be able to ask for help when needed. In short, they want their interns to be able to think and act like a software developer.
Here Are The Questions Before You Apply:
- What are your long-term career goals?
- Why do you want to intern with this company specifically?
- What technical skills do you have that would make you a valuable asset to the team?
- Have you done any side projects that show off your coding skills? If so, can you share a link?
- Do you have any experience working in a professional environment, even if it’s not in tech? How did you handle yourself and what did you learn from the experience?
- Are you comfortable working on a team or do you prefer working independently? Give an example of a time when you excel in either situation.
The next step is to send out your resume to as many companies as possible. Keep track of all the places you applied to and stay in contact with them via email every few weeks. Once they contact you for an interview, research their website thoroughly and come up with questions that relate back to the position for which they are hiring for (i.e., if they specialize in UI design, be sure to mention how excited you are about design). You’ll need an awesome portfolio too!
What to expect during the interview process?
The interview process for a software developer internship can vary depending on the company. However, there are some common questions that you can expect to be asked. These include questions about your skillset, experience, and motivation for wanting the position. Be prepared to answer these questions clearly and concisely.
The interviewer will also likely ask you to complete a coding challenge or take a written test. This is to assess your technical skills and see how you would perform on the job. Finally, be sure to ask questions about the company and the internship during your interview. This will show that you are truly interested in the opportunity and not just looking for any old internship.
After getting hired as an intern
The first step is to get hired as an intern. This can be done by applying to internships, attending job fairs, or networking. Once you have an internship, the next step is to prove yourself. This can be done by working hard, being proactive, and being a team player. After you have proven yourself, the next step is to ask for more responsibility.
This can be done by asking your supervisor for more assignments or projects. The final step is to convert your internship into a full-time job. This can be done by impressing your employer with your work ethic and skills.
The best way to get an internship as a software developer is to start by researching various companies that interest you. Once you have found a few companies, reach out to their HR department, and inquire about internship opportunities. If there are no current openings, don’t be discouraged try again in a few months. In the meantime, continue honing your skills and expanding your knowledge base by reading industry-related articles and taking online courses. With persistence and dedication, you’ll eventually land that dream internship.